Monday, March 8, 2010

The House on Cambridge Road



(People in my English class, hope this gives you FABULOUS memories...)
Anyhoo...
I was surprised when I saw the inside of our house in New Zealand. It wasn't quite like I expected it to be. All I had seen was a photo of the view from one of the windows, which I later found was my room. This is a picture of that view, except looking down the street instead, while it was raining. Did I mention that it rained a lot? Also, here is a picture of the view looking out over the Waikato River at sunrise, with all of the mist.
The house was strange. The person who owns it is an artist, and she has a lot of rather *strange* artwork up. Like, nude women. Odd. We didn't like that room too much. And there were some rather unpleasant surprises. Like a disgusting odor emanating from the laundry room, fuzzy Oreos under the bed in my room, a yogurt cup (and spoon) in the drawer in the bathroom, and bits of rotten orange in the drawer in my room. Yummy... There were other things, like TONS of little statues EVERYWHERE, staring us down. We spent a whole day cleaning because we couldn't stand to touch anything. But it ended up being a good house, even though the kitchen was WAY too small for our uses. We settled in pretty quickly, and after a while, I forgot what our house here is like. Poor Seth, though, there were only two real beds, and a cot. He got stuck with the cot, until we could get a real bed for him. But he ended up being lucky, with the room farthest from the street. Cambridge Road is really State Highway 1, meaning we got lots of trucks driving past in the middle of the night... And with the bus stop just metres away, buses with their screeching brakes...
I'm starting to forget what it was like to live there, when it seemed so natural. It's almost like living in New Zealand for a year and a half was just some crazy dream I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment